Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Lavender Lime Shortbread

I can't believe it's been almost a year since I last posted!!! This year has been quite a whirlwind, but I'm proud (and kind of terrified to be honest) to say that I am almost done with my freshman year of college. I'm lucky enough to have a kitchen in my dorm, though carrying all my baking supplies up and down four flights of stairs can be a big pain…but I guess I can count it as exercise?

Whenever I come home I bake as much as I can-it's amazing how much you can take having a stand mixer for granted. In the spirit of spring break I decided to indulge my craving for the warm weather with a batch of Lavender Lime Shortbread cookies. I adapted the recipe from Julia M Usher's Cookie Swap cookbook.

A tablespoon of fresh lavender adds just enough flavor

Sweet, buttery, and aromatic these cookies are perfect for a tea party, garden picnic, or spring equinox celebration.

Be sure to move the cookies to a cooling rack right when they come out of the oven

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup shelled blanched slivered almonds
1 tablespoon lavender flowers
1 tablespoon lime zest
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a food processor, pulse the almonds and lavender with two tablespoons on flour until finely ground but not pasty. Add the rest of the flour, lime zest, and salt and pulse to combine. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the sugars and butter until combined, then turn mixer up to medium-high until light and airy. Add the vanilla extract, mix well until combined making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure even blending. Add the flour mixture gradually and mix until just combined. Flatten dough into a disc, wrap in plastic, and place in the fridge until cold enough to roll out (about 1-2 hours). 

Preheat oven to 300ºF and lined two baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to a 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly brown on the bottom. Remove from oven and immediately transfer cookies to a cooling rack. Cool completely before storing. 





No comments:

Post a Comment